Cole Petersen · 14 hours ago · 2 min read · Insights via Ari Paul
The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is a non-profit organization founded in 2014 to support the development and growth of the open-source Stellar network. SDF and Stellar seek to unlock the world’s economic potential by making money more fluid, markets more open, and people more empowered. The Foundation helps maintain Stellar’s codebase, supports the technical and business communities around Stellar, and is a speaking partner to regulators and institutions.
Why what we do matters
Reliable money is something that many of us take for granted. But in lots of places, the local currency is uncertain and you can’t count on banks or the government. From afar, runaway inflation or changes to monetary policy feel like abstract problems, but they can devastate families as surely as natural disasters.
How Stellar helps
The way the global financial establishment is structured today, people are “born into” an economy just like they’re “born into” a political system. Stellar is a way out: it lets people participate in a worldwide, stable, financial network regardless of where they live.
For example, using Stellar, a family in Venezuela can keep some of its savings in dollars, or in euros, and protect itself from local economic upheaval—without having to keep bills “under the mattress” or operate through a gray market broker. Stellar entrepreneurs are delivering on this promise right now.
What we’re building
We’re building a new stack for digital assets. Though Stellar is open source and decentralized, SDF leads the ongoing development of the network. The Foundation supports both the codebase and the people building on it.
- Ecosystem – The programs, products, and entrepreneurs using Stellar.
- Platform – A suite of tools and services for building financial services on top of Stellar.
- Infrastructure – The open-source backend for storing and moving money.
- Account Viewer – Check your account and send basic payments.
- Laboratory – Compose complex transactions.
- StellarX – Trade on the Stellar decentralized exchange.
- Ledger Explorer – Explore the ledger on StellarExpert.
- Network Explorer – View network nodes on Stellarbeat.
- Kelp – Make markets with our open-source trading bot.
CEO and Executive Director
Founder and Chief Architect
160 Capp St, San Francisco, CA 94110, USAOpen in Google Maps →