Ana Grabundzija · 1 day ago · 2 min read
Securing Bitcoin payments since 2011, Electrum is one of the most popular Bitcoin wallets. Electrum is a free software, released under the MIT License. It was created by Thomas Voegtlin in November 2011. Since then, various developers have contributed to its source code. Electrum has various user interfaces. It can be used on mobile, desktop or with the command line interface.
- Safe: Your private keys are encrypted and never leave your device.
- Forgiving: Your wallet can be recovered from a secret phrase.
- Instant On: Electrum uses servers that index the Bitcoin blockchain making it fast.
- No Lock-In: You can export your private keys and use them in other Bitcoin clients.
- No Downtimes: Electrum servers are decentralized and redundant. Your wallet is never down.
- Proof Checking: Electrum Wallet verifies all the transactions in your history using SPV.
- Cold Storage: Keep your private keys offline and go online with a watching-only wallet.
- Electrum supports third-party plugins: Multisig services, Hardware wallets, etc.