Do you have an idea or dApp that you think could drive the future of blockchain technology? Do you know your way around EOSIO’s C++ API? Then Block.one and EOS are looking for you.
The EOS Global Hackathon is the latest venture for the team behind EOS – the world’s fifth largest cryptocurrency by market cap. This Hackathon is geared towards individuals or groups that have come up with an idea that utilizes the EOSIO blockchain platform.
The EOS Hackathon website reads:
“The EOS Global Hackathon series is a first-of-its-kind event in the world of blockchain, and serves Block.one’s goal of supporting of a decentralized global community from the ground up. Get involved, and you will be joining hackers, product developers, marketers, and business leaders in creating a new wave of blockchain dApps that secure life, liberty, and property.”
EOS seeks to decentralize the global community from the very start, which will give every person an opportunity to thrive.
Five Events – $1.5 million worth of prizes
The first in-person hackathon will be held next month, in Hong Kong. The second is set for Sydney in early-August, and the third will be held in London late-September. The last two event locations have yet to be determined.
Each of these in-person hackathons will have three cash prizes ranging from first to third place. The first place winner will receive $100,000 cash plus all travel expenses paid. The second place winner will receive $25,000 and travel expenses, and the third will receive $10,000 plus travel.
Teams that also win one of these three prizes at each event will receive a travel stipend, per person, for travel and lodging to compete in the Grand Finale in December.
The grand prize is $500,000.
Judging Criteria, Judges, and Rules
Each submission will be scored in each round based on the following criteria – a minimum score of 0 and the max score of 20 points – the final score being the average of the judge’s scores:
- Utilization of EOSIO Blockchain Tech: How well suited is this idea for blockchain technology? Is there a clear need for it?
- Creativity: Is the idea unique?
- Impact: Did the team create a dApp that has a real impact? Can it be used and work in the real world?
- Scalability: Growth potential of the application? What impact can it have on the world as a whole?
- Brendan Blumer – CEO, Block.one
- Dan Larimer – CTO, Block.one
- Michael Cao – Founder, EOS Global
- Winnie Liu – Founder, EOS Global
- Stefan Schuetze – FinLab AG
- Dr. Jane Thomason – CEO, Abt Associates
- Joshua Lavin – Developer Relations, Block.one
- Serg Metelin – Head of Developer Relations, Block.one
- Teams up to five participants are allowed and must complete participation agreement to compete.
- The project must be built from the ground up at the start of the competition. Do not come in and build on top of previous projects if you want to win.
- Teams have complete ownership of everything built in the competition and are free to do with it as they wish regardless if they win or not.
- Winning teams must go through a code-review at some point in time following the even or immediately before it ends.
Video Pitch Winners
EOS held a video pitch competition to kick off the hackathon and chose 5 winners to send to hong kong to compete in the inaugural competition.
— EOS (@EOS_io) May 23, 2018
Each chosen winner received travel stipends for up to five team members.
The winners include:
- Bee Social – A blockchain platform connecting commercial companies, nonprofits, and volunteers.
- iRespo.com – Certificated stored on the Blockchain.
- Drops – Nonprofit donation tracking on the Blockchain.
- Armada – Dropshipping Blockchain platform
- Loan-Block – A decentralized, peer-to-peer bank application
If you missed the video pitch, no need to worry there is still time to register for the five remaining hackathons, entry is $10 per person.
You can view the first EOSIO Hackathon Hong Kong itinerary here.
Technical Mentors Needed – Expenses Paid
If you don’t have any revolutionary ideas to contribute to the EOS platform but know your way around C++ API and believe in the future of dApps – the hackathon needs you too. EOS is seeking developers to be technical mentors for the first hackathon, from June 9-10.
EOSIO developers we need you. We're looking for volunteers to be technical mentors at our first #EOSHackathon event, in Hong Kong, June 9-10. Travel and accommodation covered. Learn more below https://t.co/oAAo0PPRpc
— EOS (@EOS_io) May 23, 2018
Applicants accepted will receive all travel expenses paid for, to and from Hong Kong, as well as hotel expenses – up to the value of $2,000 USD.
If you’d like to apply email [email protected] with “Volunteer Mentor” in the subject line.
Cover Photo by Farzaan Kassam on Unsplash
Disclaimer: Our writers' opinions are solely their own and do not reflect the opinion of CryptoSlate. None of the information you read on CryptoSlate should be taken as investment advice, nor does CryptoSlate endorse any project that may be mentioned or linked to in this article. Buying and trading cryptocurrencies should be considered a high-risk activity. Please do your own due diligence before taking any action related to content within this article. Finally, CryptoSlate takes no responsibility should you lose money trading cryptocurrencies.